ENVIRONMENT and CLIMATE CHANGE ACTION PLAN
OPC acknowledges and considers Climate Change in daily life and lists projects on OPC Strategic Plan which will help to respond to Climate Change, eg:
- Sustainable transport – EVCP’s
- Increasing biodiversity, including developing a Biodiversity Policy
- By listing a local recycling scheme in the Village Centre Action Plan
- By using local contractors where possible
- By reducing travel to physical meetings and using Zoom where possible
At the full Council meeting on 21st September 2021, Councillors debated Climate Change and resolved that:
“OPC acknowledges the Government’s Climate Emergency pledge and will:
- Consider Climate Change in all decision making and delivery of services and activities.
- Review all Council services and functions and draw up an Action Plan within 6 months setting out where carbon emissions can be reduced.
- Following adoption and review of the Action Plan, OPC will consider whether to declare a “net zero carbon pledge.”
On 16th November, OPC further resolved to set up an Environment and Climate Change working group to start developing OPC’s Climate Change Action Plan. This group also included interested and very knowledgeable members of our community. The first meeting took place on 22nd November.
The development of OPC’s Climate Action Plan is a key priority for the Council but this won’t halt other work and projects already underway.
- Develop and ratify an Environment and Climate Change Policy
- Commission a biodiversity audit of all OPC owned land
- Commission and adopt a management plan for all OPC land which prioritises methods which will protect and increase biodiversity and reduce the carbon footprint
- Enrol in the Greening Campaign and lead the campaign across Odiham and North Warnborough
- Review business and services of OPC and move to options that reduce the carbon footprint of the OPC wherever practicable.
This policy was adopted by Odiham Parish Council on 15th February 2022.