At the top of the hill in King Street is the entrance to the cemetery, which was consecrated in 1860 by the Bishop of Winchester. By 1859 the churchyard was full and a new burial ground was needed. Odiham Burial Board of local worthies was formed. The initial plan was to purchase three acres in Chalk Pit Field from Sir Henry Mildmay of Dogmersfield Park, but he wanted £200 per acre. The board then settled for two and a half acres bought from J.G. Seymour, the local banker, for £100 per acre.
The two mortuary chapels, the north for non-conformists, the south for Anglicans, the cottage and gates were designed by the Winchester architect J. Colson, and cost £1050 to build. The Burial Board borrowed £2000 from the government repayable from the Poor Rate. The Parish Council took over responsibility when it was formed in 1894. The chapels have not been used for many years, but as listed buildings are maintained by the Parish Council. Major renovations were carried out in 1991 and a more recent programme commenced in 2015. Each chapel has gross external area of 57m2.
The cemetery was enlarged in 1913 and the northern extension was purchased from A.J.Parsons in 1939. There is an area set aside for RAF burials.
Just a reminder to grave owners that all seasonal decorations such as Christmas wreaths should be removed as soon as possible.
Memorial Testing 2021
The stability testing of the memorial headstones in the cemetery has now been completed. Those that were found to be unstable have been laid down and exclusive rights holders have been notified, where contact information is available. The next whole site memorial tests will take place in 2026.
If you wish to arrange for a burial or interment of ashes please contact the parish office on 01256 702716 or email the Deputy Clerk at [email protected].