The Staffing Committee formed in 2019 generally meets twice a year unless further staffing related matters arise. The current Chair is Cllr Dr Angela McFarlane
- The Staffing Committee is constituted to ensure that the council complies with the requirements of employment law and follows best practice in providing good working conditions for staff, including health and safety.
- The Staffing Committee holds delegated authority from Odiham Parish Council as defined under item 3 (d) of the Council’s Standing Orders.
- Membership of the Staffing Committee is limited to 5 Cllrs appointed at the Annual Meeting of Odiham Parish Council.
- The Council will appoint a Chair of the Staffing Committee at the Annual Meeting of the Council.
- All members must attend HALC’s course “The Council as an Employer” at the earliest opportunity or evidence recent completion of other industry-appropriate employment training.
- The Committee will be quorate in accordance with Standing Order 1 (w).
- There will be at least two meetings held each year; one to recommend pay rises for staff prior to budget setting and one to appoint members to carry out the Parish Clerk’s annual appraisal. Other meetings will be called by the Chair or Parish Clerk as and when required.
- The Staffing Committee will be responsible for: Appointing from its membership a recruitment panel when necessary for the recruitment of all staff. Recruitment panels will normally include at least three members plus the Parish Clerk
- Recruiting replacement staff with the Parish Clerk for all roles except the role of the Parish Clerk.
- Providing a recommendation to full council for the appointment of an Parish Clerk/RFO.
- Conducting the assessment after completion of the probationary period of a new Parish Clerk.
- Determining staff terms and conditions of employment in consultation with the Parish Clerk.
- Appointing a member(s) to carry out the Parish Clerk’s annual appraisal with the Chairman and providing a report to full council.
- Approving overtime worked by the Parish Clerk via email on a monthly basis.
- Recommending salary reviews and conditions of service of existing employees to full council prior to budget setting, giving due regard to staff development and NALC guidelines.
- Recommending to full council each year the necessary budget for staff training after consideration of staff training needs in consultation with the Parish Clerk.
- Approval of the expenditure for staff training within the agreed budget.
- Reviewing staff policies and procedures, taking into account Employment Law, Health and Safety Law and conditions of service as laid out by the National Joint Council (NJC) and recommended by NALC and SLCC.
- Reviewing staff pension arrangements.
- Ensuring that the Parish Clerk has everything required for managing other staff and offering support when required.
- Dealing with any staff grievances and disciplinary matters in accordance with the Council’s Grievance and Disciplinary Procedure.
- Working to determine the staffing levels necessary to efficiently discharge the work required by the council, reviewing the workloads periodically with the Parish Clerk and making any necessary recommendations in respect thereof to the full council.
- Managing long term sickness and incidents at work with the Parish Clerk.
- Being aware of sources of expert advice on employment matters and ensuring that the council uses such sources when there is any doubt about good employment practice.
- Managing any issues referred to the committee by the full council.
Select a year:
10 November 2021 – Staffing Committee
28 July 2021 – Extraordinary Staffing Committee
08 April 2021 – Staffing Committee
02 March 2021 – Staffing Committee
07 October 2020 – Staffing Committee
01 June 2020 – Staffing Committee
28 November 2019 – Staffing Committee EGM
28 August 2019 – Staffing Committee
14 August 2019 – Staffing Committee