Climate change is changing weather patterns and an increase in extreme weather conditions caused by a build up of green house gases in the earth’s atmosphere. The gas which affects the climate most is carbon dioxide.
The Climate Emergency is well publicised and a frequent topic in the national media. Local Councils are being encouraged to play their part in tackling climate change and NALC “believes that, collectively, across 10,000 local councils we can tackle climate change locally and create more climate-friendly communities”. The new NALC webpage suggest a Climate Change Declaration is the first step NALC Climate Change
Information on Hampshire County Council’s and Hart District Council’s response to Climate Change can be viewed at:
Responding to climate change | Hampshire County Council (hants.gov.uk)
Climate change | Hart District Council
OPC already acknowledges and considers Climate Change in daily life and lists projects on OPC’s Strategic Plan which will help to respond to Climate Change, eg:
- Sustainable transport – EVCP’s
- Increasing biodiversity, including developing a Biodiversity Policy
- By listing a local recycling scheme in the Village Centre Action Plan
- By using local contractors where possible
- By reducing travel to physical meetings and using Zoom where possible
At the full Council meeting on 21st September 2021, Councillors debated Climate Change and resolved that:
“OPC acknowledges the Government’s Climate Emergency pledge and will:
- Consider Climate Change in all decision making and delivery of services and activities.
- Review all Council services and functions and draw up an Action Plan within 6 months setting out where carbon emissions can be reduced.
- Following adoption and review of the Action Plan, OPC will consider whether to declare a “net zero carbon pledge.”
At the same meeting it was also agreed to proceed with a project to plant a Community Orchard at Cemetery Meadow. Further details will be published soon.
If you are interested in working with the Parish Council on any of our projects aimed at tackling our local response to Climate Change, please get in touch with [email protected].